Good Sunday morning, baking gods and goddesses! Today’s recipe combines two personal favorites – French toast and the flavors of a vanilla chai latte – into one AMAZING breakfast dish. I wish I could claim this genius idea was my own, but credit goes to fellow blogger Savory Simple. Check out her blog for all things foodie-beautiful and delicious!
BAKED CHAI SPICE-VANILLA FRENCH TOAST
Yields: 6 servings
For the chai-spice mixture:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
For the french toast:
- 6 large fresh eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chai-spice mixture
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 loaf day-old French bread, chopped into 1-inch cubes
For the streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chai-spice mixture
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold + chopped into cubes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, ginger and cloves. Set aside.
- For the french toast, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the chai spice mixture in a medium bowl.
- Grease a medium-sized (8×8″ or similar) casserole or baking dish with the softened butter and layer the cubed bread inside, gently pressing it down. Briefly re-whisk the liquid ingredients and pour them evenly over the bread, taking care to cover all of the exposed bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes or as long as overnight to allow the mixture to absorb into the bread.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit (175° Celsius). In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients until crumbly.
- Uncover the baking dish and gently press the bread down evenly until the liquid begins seeping up. Spread the topping evenly over the bread. Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden and crunchy.
- Allow to cool for several minutes, then slice and serve.