Temperatures have FINALLY dipped below 50 degrees in Southern California, which can only mean it’s – da da da daaaah – SOUP WEATHER!
What to say about this recipe? It’s caprese. In a soup. And it’s A-M-A-Z-I-N-G with a buttery grilled cheese sandwich. Definitely a recipe for the ‘make this again!’ folder – enjoy!
CAPRESE SOUP WITH SOURDOUGH GRILLED CHEESE
Yields: 2 servings
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh mixed tomatoes
- 1 large garlic bulb, cut in half width-wise
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 sundried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 50 grams fresh basil leaves + extra to serve
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 (125 gram) ball fresh buffalo mozzarella
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Cheddar (or other preferred sandwich) cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Place the tomatoes and garlic on a large roasting tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and roast in the oven for 25 minutes, or until tomatoes have burst and garlic is soft. Remove tray from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic from its skin and place in a blender with the roasted tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, sugar, 50 grams of basil, vinegar and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Blitz until smooth, then run through a sieve (if desired, to remove tomato seeds).
- Spread butter on both sides of bread slices. Place one slice on a preheated griddle or grill pan, cover with cheese slices and grill until bread is of desired texture and consistency. Top with second bread slice, flip sandwich, and grill as desired. Repeat with remaining bread slices and cheese.
- Transfer soup to serving bowls and top with shredded buffalo mozzarella and remaining basil. Serve heated through with grilled sandwiches.
*Previously published to my old blog, Cucina Fresca*