As a child growing up in the beautiful (but climatologically moody) Pacific Northwest, Memorial Day weekend held a special significance for my nature-loving family: the re-opening of campgrounds, parks, and trailheads closed for the winter months by snow, storms, or flood conditions. While prohibitively large crowds often kept my parents, brother, and I from actually camping out over the long holiday weekend, its arrival never failed to produce excited anticipation for what promised to be three unforgettable months of hiking, camping, and outdoor adventure.
Camping – and I mean real camping, which doesn’t involve electricity or lodging on wheels – is one of my all-time favorite summer past-times. I love finding the perfect spot for my tent, building a small campfire, and searching for shooting stars in the clear night’s sky. This experience is, of course, made infinitely better by the addition of marshmallows, graham crackers, and a handful of Hershey’s bars. That’s right – I’m talking about the oohey-gooey awesome deliciousness of the humble s’more.
Naturally, I couldn’t get out of the house last weekend to go camping [sad face]. I blame it on an injured back, rain, and something called “campground reservations”. Never one to be deterred from – well, anything – I decided to bring s’mores inside. I considered S’mores Dip (still on the agenda) and S’mores Pie (definitely on the agenda), but settled on Triple Chocolate S’mores Bark because – SURPRISE! – I love chocolate.
Best. Decision. Ever.
In all honesty, my attempt at this recipe didn’t turn out nearly as pretty as the original (check out A Kitchen Addiction‘s gorgeous photos!). Appearances aside, it was easy to make and super delicious! I highly recommend this sweet treat for anyone that doesn’t care for the campfire version (*GASP*), or is rained (or injured/reserved) out of the great outdoors. Enjoy!
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE S’MORES BARK
- 24 ounces dark chocolate
- 8 ounces white chocolate
- 3/4 cup (3-4 sheets) graham crackers, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup marshmallow bits
- 2 (1.55 ounce) Hershey’s milk chocolate bars, broken into pieces
- Line a 15×10 inch cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Melt dark chocolate according to instructions on package, making sure to stir periodically.
- Melt white chocolate according to instructions on package, making sure to stir periodically.
- Spread melted dark chocolate onto prepared cookie sheet. Spoon white chocolate over the top. Swirl white chocolate through dark chocolate using a knife or thin rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle with graham cracker pieces, marshmallow bits, and broken chocolate bars. Lightly press topping into chocolate.
- Place in refrigerator for at least one hour to cool and set.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.